..the internet gateway for the dales Book icon


Yorkshire Dales Country News

Archive:2006 ] [ 2005 ] [ 2004 ] [ 2003 ] [ 2002 ] [ 2001 ] [ Have your say ]


More biofuels needed to cut CO2 - CLA

[Thursday 16 November 2006]
biofuels
Biofuels - could crops such as sugarbeet power our future?

The Country Land and Business Association (CLA) in Yorkshire is urging the Government to use the Climate Change Bill announced in yesterday's Queen's Speech as the vehicle to encourage production of renewable energy sources - a move which would help thousands of hard-hit farmers.

As we reported last month (see a Week in the Country), sugar beet growers are threatened with bankruptcy because of the closure the British Sugar plant near York - despite the fact that sugar beet is potentially one of the two best crops for the production of pollution-free fuel for cars and other vehicles. The other is oil seed rape, which is also grown widely in the county.

Responding to the Queen's Speech announcement that a new Climate Change Bill will aim to cut UK carbon dioxide emissions by 60 per cent by 2050, Dorothy Fairburn, regional director of the CLA, commented: "The CLA's recent report into land management and climate change recommended that farming and land management has a crucial role to play in tackling climate change.

"The CLA raised recommendations of the report at a recent meeting with the Prime Minister and the Environment Secretary, David Miliband, who both agreed it was important to increase the amount of land-based renewable energy in the UK. We are now urging the Government to use the Bill as the vehicle to encourage production of bioethanol, biodiesel, biomass and anaerobic digestion of animal and food wastes to produce biogas."

However, she warned that the climate change debate should not be used as an excuse to pile extra taxes on agriculture: "The figures in the recent Stern report suggested that of the 32 per cent of worldwide green house gases, 14 per cent came from agriculture and 18 per cent came from land use change," she said.

The figures in the recent Stern report suggested that of the 32 per cent of worldwide green house gases, 14 per cent came from agriculture

Dorothy Fairburn - CLA

"The UK figures for these two are 7.5 per cent and 0.1 per cent net respectively. In other words together they contribute only 7.6 per cent - less than a quarter of the global figure.

"We don't want to see additional costs being directed at UK farmers and land managers. Not a single gram of carbon will be saved or a reduction in green house gases achieved if production is displaced to the rest of Europe or the rest of the world resulting in transportation of the extra produce to the UK."

What do you think? Send us your views using the form below.






 

 

Disclaimer: Daelnet will endeavour to put up as many of your views as possible. However, we cannot guarantee that all e-mails will be published. We reserve the right to edit any views that are published for legal or editorial reasons. Further, your details will not be used for any other services.

*

Daelnet is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

  • Daelnet RSS
Daelnet RSS

Have the latest Yorkshire Dales News delivered to your desktop. Find out more...

  • A look back at the week

Our look back at the past week's Yorkshire Dales News ensures you'll never miss a thing!

Have you got a local news story from your part of the Yorkshire Dales?
Perhaps you have a community event or fundraiser you would like promoting.
Email the Daelnet newsdesk:
news@daelnet.co.uk


Home  |  News  |  Daelnet Directory  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Local Info  |  Books & Maps  |  Contact Us  |  Services
 
Ivescar - The scar covered in ivy (Old English + Old Norse)    more  places »
Your Privacy  
Copyright 1995-2013 - Dales.Net