..the internet gateway for the dales Book icon


Yorkshire Dales Country News

Archive:2006 ] [ 2005 ] [ 2004 ] [ 2003 ] [ 2002 ] [ 2001 ] [ Have your say ]


Government investment in rural broadband falls short, says CLA

[Tuesday 12 January 2010]

Responding to Lord Mandelson's announcement that Government is to provide £1 billion of investment into next generation access broadband, Douglas Chalmers, Director CLA North, said:

"Clearly we welcome the acknowledgement that, without direct public sector investment, those in rural areas will again be the losers, but they still only aim for 90% coverage. If this is to be our best effort, will the remaining 10% ever be brought into the modern world?

“A partial solution may actually make things worse. If society believes there is no longer a problem, communications designed for high speed connections will become the norm. Already, too many people struggle when faced with vital web-based services such as tax returns and job applications. Rural communities and businesses are excluded by other people’s superior technology.

“Government should adopt the Prime Minister's own view that broadband is a vital public utility. The ‘universal service commitment’ must become a legally enforceable universal service obligation to provide two megabits per second by 2012 otherwise, the digital divide may simply move, and it will certainly get wider.”

What do you think? Send us your views using the form below.






 

 

Disclaimer: Daelnet will endeavour to put up as many of your views as possible. However, we cannot guarantee that all e-mails will be published. We reserve the right to edit any views that are published for legal or editorial reasons. Further, your details will not be used for any other services.

*

Daelnet is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

  • Daelnet RSS
Daelnet RSS

Have the latest Yorkshire Dales News delivered to your desktop. Find out more...

  • A look back at the week

Our look back at the past week's Yorkshire Dales News ensures you'll never miss a thing!

Have you got a local news story from your part of the Yorkshire Dales?
Perhaps you have a community event or fundraiser you would like promoting.
Email the Daelnet newsdesk:
news@daelnet.co.uk


Home  |  News  |  Daelnet Directory  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Local Info  |  Books & Maps  |  Contact Us  |  Services
 
Clapdale - The valley of the noisy stream (Old English)    more  places »
Your Privacy  
Copyright 1995-2013 - Dales.Net