Grassington, 18th March, 2004. Businesses across the Yorkshire Dales are being offered the chance to help visitors get the very best out of the area – and promote themselves to boot.
The Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority is revitalising its network of information points and is urging local shops, pubs and cafes to join in the promotion push.
Park Information Points support the network of National Park and Tourist Information Centres. They provide essential information to visitors on a variety of subjects, including things to see and do, access in and around the Dales and current projects and issues affecting the Park.
The scheme has operated reasonably successfully in the past, but now - in its 50th anniversary year - the Authority wants is injecting new enthusiasm and resources into the project.
Kathryn Storey, Sustainable Tourism Officer with the National Park Authority, said: “Many businesses in the Yorkshire Dales are already providing a vital local service by providing information on the National Park to visitors.
“Now they have the chance to do so as part of a co-ordinated network with regular and dedicated support from Park staff. This is a great opportunity for them to be able to promote the area and their business, while being officially recognised as part of a network where visitors can go for information on the Yorkshire Dales National Park.”
Successful applicants will receive equipment and fittings to enable them to provide the information service without losing valuable business space. Other support will also be available.
The whole package includes:
- A4 Wall Mounted display unit (poster dispenser style) with interchangeable leaves for easily updated information. This will provide space for promotion of events, accommodation lists, maps, weather and general locational and specific National Park Information.
- A board with logo for external use
- Sign or window transfer
- Dispenser for Visitor newspaper
- Free publicity via YDNPA and Joint Promotion Initiative Tourism Partnership publications and web sites
- Information manual
- Up to date information on issues affecting the Dales through National park Authority media releases and meeting agendas
- Trade discount on National Park Authority merchandise
- Inclusion in annual meeting to update current issues
- Minimum service standards
Successful applicants will also have regular meetings with a dedicated member of National Park Staff who will be a point of contact between the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority and the Information Point Network.
Anyone who thinks their business could benefit from being able to provide this type of service should contact the YDNPA External Affairs Administration Department on 01756 752748 or email email@example.com for a ‘Park Information Point Pack’ and application form. The deadline for completed applications is April 7th 2004.