..the internet gateway for the dales Book icon

Country News - 2002

Archive:2006 ] [ 2005 ] [ 2004 ] [ 2003 ] [ 2002 ] [ 2001 ] [ Have your say ]

Help for car-less country folk
Thursday 17 October 2002

THE Countryside Agency has issued a new booklet designed to help solve the transport problems of people in rural communities who do not have access to a car - and there are grants available to local communities wishing to tackle the issue.

Says Nick Holliday, head of the agency's Vital Villages initiative, says: "People living in the countryside who don't have access to a car often face great difficulties getting around.

"We can help communities to solve some of these problems by providing up to £1,000 for a parish or town council to work out their transport needs and up to £10,000 to help meet those needs."

The money can be spent on projects such as car sharing schemes or taxi vouchers as well as bus or mini-bus services.

Free copies of Get your community moving are available from Countryside Agency Publications, PO Box 125, Wetherby LS23 7EP (0870-120 6466) or can be downloaded from www.countryside.gov.uk/publications

Home  |  News  |  Daelnet Directory  |  What's New  |  Features  |  Gallery  |  Local Info  |  Books & Maps  |  Contact Us  |  Services
Carperby - Cairpre's farm (Old Irish personal name + Old Norse)    more  places »
Your Privacy  
Copyright 1995-2013 - Dales.Net